Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Genesis of the Journey

It was a leisurely day that found me browsing through HOG magazine.  I've been riding motorcycles and Harley's in particular for the better part of 27 years now.  On my third Harley now, I figured that would be pretty much it.  My main bike, a Heritage Springer, was to me the ultimate motorcycle. 

Nostalgic looking, shiny, loud, and powerful, it had carried me from California to Harley Davidson's 100th Anniversary, Sturgis (twice), and kept me happy and energized on weekends or the occasional trip to rallies within reasonable distance.  As I browsed through this particular copy of HOG magazine, I took in the cover layout that featured Harley's latest touring model, and inside a feature article on the new improved touring model frame.  Articles about the improvements, handling, capabilities.  Yeah, yeah, I remember thinking - more creature comforts for those "old" guys.  But something about the writeup struck me.  Claims regarding the handling, the comfort, the range - hey, a six gallon tank! - resonated with me for some reason.  And despite my denial, I had to admit that I had somehow become one of those "old" guys.  Hmm, maybe there was something to this touring model Harley after all.  Well, to make a long rambling short, I am now in possession of a 2010 Road Glide Custom, a bike designed to be both sleek looking (though some would argue that) and worthy of long distance rides with some degree of comfort.  


In search of a ride to justify the purchase of this new machine, I stumbled onto the Guts and Glory Rally Across America.  48 States.  9000 miles.  11 Days.  Leave Long Beach, CA on a Sunday and arrive in Bar Harbor, Maine, eleven days later.  OK, that was a little more than what I was thinking of, but after mulling it over for a bit, I decided, "why not?"   Thus I find myself planning a ride that few people would even consider.  Can I complete it?  I'm sure as heck going to give it my best effort.  This little blog is my attempt at sharing my adventure.  I'll post updates here, my thoughts, some photos, some videos, and whatever else I think might interest you as I make my trip preparations, and of course, as I make my way across the country on what the organizers bill as "The Ride of Your Life."  I (and presumably 999 other riders) depart on May 15th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment