Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Route


Planning the most efficient route to cover 48 states is a little more challenging than you might realize.  Ideally, any true two-wheel enthusiast would probably prefer to take the more scenic routes, the roads less traveled.  After all, part of the experience of riding a motorcycle is taking in the scenery, the smells, and the terrain (and yes, the bugs) as you roll down the road.  Choosing the two-lane over the interstate is tantamount to choosing to sip a fine vintage wine in the company of Jennifer Anniston over throwing down Keystone Light tallboys with Sweaty Betty down at Skeeter’s Double-Wide Tavern and Bordello.  Both will get you to your intended objective, but the experience in getting there is far different.  Unfortunately, since I have less than three weeks, including a four-day respite, to complete this venture, it looks like I will have to settle for brewskis and bulk over Bordeaux and beauty.  Thus the maps which have me traveling on many roads beginning with “I.”  The first portion will take me from Orange County, CA to Pittsburgh, PA via a northern route over a period of nine to ten days.  The interesting part of this route is the beginning when three days will have passed while going through a mere six states.  Optimism may wane. 
Eastbound and Down
 
Assuming I complete the eastbound round on schedule, there’s a little lull when I gather with my fellow Road Gliders for the First Annual Shark Week Rally in Gettysburg, PA.  Come Sunday, the 17th of July, it’s time to hit the road again where my apparent love for heat, humidity and self-abuse demands that I take the southern route during the part of the year that promises to feature the most oppressive heat of the summer.  I shouldn’t see any thunderstorms during this part, should I?  The return will take me through Dixie and the Southwest, and eventually home to the west coast in what I hope will be five days. 
Westbound and Rundown
 
Apologies for the annoying little yellow boxes.  They indicate cities that I was forced to insert in my program in order to optimize my route.  Sadly I couldn’t figure out how to get rid of them for map printing purposes.  But on the bright side the program produced list of towns that I will be passing through (below), and if you happen to be in or near any of these towns, you have the opportunity to come out and point and laugh at me as I pass through town.  It’s also probably a good chance to bring your kids and give them a lesson in how stupid grown-up’s can be.  Here’s my intended city-by-city tour, and if you’re in, near, or between any of these fine towns, let me know if you’re along the route, and if I have the time, I’d love to meet up with you.  You might even be able to talk some sense into me. 

Eastbound Route:
Mission Viejo, CA
Bismark, ND
Girard, PA
Reno, NV
Sioux Falls, SD
Corning, NY
Redding, CA
Omaha, NE
Bennington, VT
Medford, OR
Maryville, MO
Manchester, NH
Portland, OR
Des Moines, IA
Portsmouth, ME
Pendleton, OR
Rochester MN
Chelmsford, MA
Boise, ID
Madison, WI
Providence, RI
Logan, UT
Rockford, IL
Waterbury, CT
Rock Springs, WY
South Bend, IN
Newark, NJ, Allentown, PA
Casper, WY,
Toledo, OH
Harrisburg, PA
Forsyth, MT
Cleveland, OH
Pittsburgh, PA

Westbound Route:
Gettysburg, PA
Atlanta, GA
Oklahoma City, OK
Cumberland, MD
Montgomery, AL
Liberal, KS
Morgantown, WV
Pensacola, FL
Alamosa, CO
Morehead, KY
Mobile, AL
Albuquerque, NM
Kingsport, TN
Jackson, MS
Flagstaff, AZ
Asheville, NC
Shreveport, LA
Kingman, AZ
Greenville, SC
Texarkana, AK
Mission Viejo, CA

1 comment: